The Dragon of Despair by Jane Lindskold

I feel a little weird starting the first blog about this series with the third book. However, I started this series over a year ago, and I just keep finding other books more interesting. This isn't a bad series, it's actually quite good, but I just lose interest with long dialogues and less action.

The third book starts with Firekeeper and Derian returning to Bardenville to place grave markers where Prince Barden and his community lost their lives. The two discover that a new expedition has been undertaken and the plan is to re-build. Firekeeper's wolf family and the rest of the Royal Beasts feel threatened and violated. How does Firekeeper manage to stop a human-animal war while also staying true to her family?

On the other side of Firekeeper's family are the humans. They know her as Lady Blysse, and when she asks King Tedric for aide with New Bardenville, he proposes a bargain. If she will return to New Kelvin and pursue Melina Shield, then he will handle New Bardenville. Feeling that she has no choice, Firekeeper along with Derian, Lady Elise, Wendee, Edlin, Sir Jared, Grateful Peace, and nine year old Citrine Shield will cross the border to discover what sorcery Lady Melina is conducting.

The beginning did pull me in because I was interested in seeing the interaction between Derian and Firekeeper's wolf family. However, before that could happen the two face the New Bardenville and I was antsy. I honestly thought that the confrontation would be more action. That it would provide more "badassery" from Firekeeper. Unfortunately, it was talk, talk, and more talk. The series seems to follow around political discussions more so than violent actions. It's a medieval timeline with more information/relationship dumping. This made the book slow down over time, then it picks back up towards the end.

The evil one, Melina, is again our antagonist in this book. She has made herself close to The Healed One, the ruler of New Kelvin. However, there are some in the New Kelvinese government who doubt her sincerity. Melina is the perfect Lady Villain. She is poise, manners, etiquette, abusive, conniving,  and a witch. I saw on other reviews that readers wanted to see her more fleshed out. I don't think you can really flesh out someone who's greatest desire is simply more magic/power.  I think Jane Lindskold created a great villainess.

I did take a star off because the character I wished to see fleshed out was Firekeeper. In all three books, she doesn't seem to develop much. Her education with her human family doesn't seem to grow and expand. I also would think she would be able to speak better after being in their company. However, she still seems underdeveloped. Lady Elise even mentions that she is still around a year and a half in human years. But when the reader sees into Firekeeper;s thoughts and her dialogue with Blind Seer, then we see that she is actually more of a teenager/young adult. She still makes mistakes. I just wish she was more compatible with her human family.

Overall I rate this 4 out of 5 stars. Stay tuned for the 4th novel next month.

Comments