The Carnelian Crow by Colleen Gleason

I do believe I have said before how much I love this series. The Carnelian Crow finds our heroines downtrodden after the disappointing result of The Chess Queen Enigma. While moping in her bedroom, Mina Holmes receives a rather unusual visitor, a crow, and it comes bearing gifts, a carnelian. If it had stopped there,  would have thought that the crow was building a nest. However, Inspector Grayling also visits, and our mystery begins.

For Evaline Stoker, things seem to be bad and getting worse by the second. After being informed that the family isn't doing so well financially, it appears that it is up to Evaline to marry a well to do man, and save them all. If she doesn't, they lose their home and have to move back to Dublin with her family. On top of that, she hasn't had contact with Pix, and she is beginning to get worried (again!).

What does a carnelian have to do with the Ankh? Where's Pix? How is Evaline supposed to do her fates cursed duty while finding a fiancée or an alternate solution? What does any of this have to do with the missing Miss Adler, and Mina's mother?

Overall I rate this novel 4 out of 5 stars, because the only downside I had were Pix and Evaline. Pix was very subdued in this novel, whereas Evaline seemed to have turned into a coward. The fact that their personalities changed so much was concerning. It seemed to take away from the plot because  I was very confused as to what I was reading.

The highlight was imagining Mina and Grayling. I NEED THIS TO HAPPEN, PEOPLE!!!! Mina has a similar personality to her father and uncle (especially in how the TV show, movies, and other novels portray) in that intellect, not emotion, lead the way. However, I think Mina needs to learn that a little affection will not hurt her, and I think Grayling can teach her that. While also keeping her intellectually stimulated and "keeping up" with her family.

Comments