Yours Truly by Abby Jimenez


 Dr. Briana Ortiz just wants to get through the week, but forces are conspiring against her. Her divorce is being finalized, her brother’s kidney failure is getting worse, and her promotion is being delayed due to the new male doctor in order to give him a chance. She is ready to hate Dr. Jacob Maddox after a disastrous first impression, when he writes her a letter. It’s a letter that explains everything, and makes Briana pause to question her own actions.

Jacob just wants to get through the next couple of months without a panic attack. His brother is marrying his ex-girlfriend, he has started at a new hospital where he can’t seem to do anything right, and his fellow ER doctor is gorgeous and hates him. After his letter, they start sharing lunch dates inside the “sob closet”, and gradually phone conversations. Jacob agrees to donate a kidney to Briana’s brother, and she agrees to assist him with his brother’s wedding. What could possibly go wrong?

I have not read any of Abby Jimenez’s novels prior to this one.

Yours Truly is a slow burn, and that was perfectly fine with me, but just when I thought the main characters were happy, the plot went sideways. All the way up to the last 3 or 4 chapters, I followed, and I enjoyed what I read. I could understand the miscommunication, and I found some of the dialogue funny. I even related to Jacob’s anxiety. He made sense to me, because Jacob’s issues felt consistent. However, it was Briana’s character that I had difficulty with. I couldn’t understand how she was so confident, acting like a boss, or another b word, but then her trauma would randomly appear, and she became someone else.

I found the second half of the book to roam into soap opera territory. I don’t like whining in children, I REALLY don’t like it in adults. I also found the monologues repetitive. There were so many characters that Briana and Jacob could have been “assisted” by them more. They felt like filler characters, and not supporting ones.

Overall, I rate this novel 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

Comments