The Late Mrs. Willoughby by Claudia Gray


 Juliet Tilney, daughter of Catherine and Henry Tilney of Northanger Abbey, has been invited to visit Marianne Brandon, and they are not completely happy. Mainly because the last time she was invited out, Juliet had become involved in a murder investigation. This time, Marianne’s former suitor Mr. Willoughby has returned to Devonshire with his new bride. Juliet is looking forward to seeing her new friend.

Jonathan Darcy, son of Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam Darcy of Pemberly, has been invited to visit his former schoolmate, John Willoughby, at his new home, and they are completely happy. Jonathan, however, is not. Mainly because Willoughby was not a friend, instead he was a bully. 

Jonathan finds himself better pleased at seeing the Brandons, but mostly Juliet Tilney again. Unfortunately, their reunion is darkened by the death of Willoughby’s new wife. Rumors begin to fly and Marianne is immediately under suspicion. Jonathan and Juliet team up once more to save their friend, but to also stop a ruthless killer as scary accidents indicate that someone else is being targeted.

I read The Murder of Mr. Wickham and loved it, so when Claudia Gray’s next book arrived on Netgalley, I immediately requested it. While I have read all of Jane Austen’s novels, and it might assist anyone with an OCD brain like me that wants the “complete” story, but I didn’t feel it was necessary. Claudia Gray does an extraordinary job of giving all relevant details while still making the story her own.

I love Jonathan and Juliet. I understand Jonathan in a very visceral way. I find that I don’t usually understand people and would rather spend time talking about books more than anything else. Juliet is compassionate while obviously intelligent. She recognizes what Jonathan needs, but never makes fun of him. Instead, she’s sees him for the unique person that he is. I hope the third book sees Juliet and Jonathan finally on the same page with each other. I’m a “in your face” person, and really don’t like slow burns all that much.

Overall, I rate this novel 5 out of 5 stars. 

Comments