Murder by Invitation Only by Colleen Cambridge


In true Agatha Christie style Colleen Cambridge provides a historical mystery that is thought provoking and 

An invitation arrives at Mallowan Hall to attend a murder. Since Agatha is out of town, housekeeper and friend Phyllida Bright goes as her representative. The new neighbors would like to introduce themselves with a murder mystery game. Unfortunately, the game becomes reality when a real body is discovered. 

With the inspector also out of town, Phyllida takes it upon herself to assist Constable Greenstick with the investigation. That means spending much time inside the neighbor’s house where the housekeeper is overwhelmed, the staff is lacking direction, and a murderer resides. Phyllida proceeds to oversee two households while attempting to catch a murderer.

Honestly, this is my first Phyllida Bright novel, and I just find her to be obnoxious. I appreciate confidence in a character, but she seems too much of a know-it-all. I’m introduced to Phyllida in a comedic scene involving two maids and some pails, then there’s the relationship, or lack thereof, with the butler. I began to see that there might be some pet peeves in this series. I was grateful to read that Inspector Cork wouldn’t be present, because I really can’t stand aggressive closed-minded police in these novels. It is a troupe that should be erased from history. However, that doesn’t seem to stop Phyllida from also being close-minded. Though, that may also be because she is so anti-dog that it made my teeth hurt.

While the murder announcement is similar to Agatha Christie’s the adaptation is purely Colleen’s. I thought it was well planned with plenty of suspects, red herrings, and a comprehensive solution. I did think the ending was drawn out a bit. Again, another pet peeve was written in. 

Overall, I rate this novel 4 out of 5 stars. 

Comments