A Story to Strangle For by E.V. Hunter


 E.V. Hunter’s 4th book in The Hopgood Hall Murder Mysteries series follows Alexi Ellis as she conducts a writing course for wannabe journalists at Hopgood Hall. Her hope is that the reputation of the Hall focuses on something other than its murderous past. 

Unfortunately for Alexi, one of her students is found dead, and Alexi is supposed the last to see him alive. Feeling like she is being set up, Alexi, Jack, and Cosmo the cat must find out who would want such tragic results before she winds up in jail, or worse.

This is not a standalone novel. While not often, there were moments of “who the heck is this person? What is their relationship?” Not confusing, but obvious that I was missing something. I liked DI Mark Vickery, because he did not reject the amateurs’ help, but he also didn’t encourage it either. I hated Cassie, and something tell me she would have been the character that I felt the series could do without. I can’t stand people who think they are better for someone. He’s not into you, boo. Move on.

I enjoyed the mystery. There were plenty of red herrings, and I honesty wasn’t expecting the overall result. I was glad of who the killer was, though. It felt like well-deserved closure. Alexi’s attitude, or self-pity, however, did not help. There were moments when it seemed like she was giving up, and I was just like “not yet girl. There’s still time.” I also didn’t like Jack burying his head in the sand until he couldn’t anymore.

Overall, I rate this novel 4 out of 5 stars. 

Comments