The Mysterious Case of the Alperton Angels by Janice Hallett

 


The story of the Alperton Angels seems like another cult brainwashing murder suicide. Except the teenage girl saved her baby, the supposed Anti-Christ, instead of letting it be killed. Years later, true crime novelist Amanda Bailey wants to find, and interview said baby, now 18-year-old. However, she’s not the only one looking for the teenage mother and the child. Oliver Menzies, Amanda’s rival, has better connections than Amanda. Forced to work together, they quickly realize that there are inconsistencies in every piece of information about the Angels and the events that turned deadly.

Janice Hallett has a very unique writing style that works for her story telling. Here, it was a series of emails, text messages, letters, and transcripts. However, I never felt that I was missing something vital to the story. In fact, one of the things I like about Hallett is the fact that she can catch me off guard. I was not expecting the twist(s) towards the end.

The only reason I didn’t give this 5 stars was because I did not like Amanda or Oliver. I did not like how selfish and overly ambitious they were. It made the story go rather slowly at the beginning. It wasn’t until roughly halfway through that I began to see the mysteries, and that was what hooked me.

Overall, I rate this novel 4.5 out of 5 stars. 

Comments