The Sign of Four Spirits by Vicki Delany


 Book 9 in the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop series involves a psychic fair, a seance, and a murdered medium. Gemma Doyle wants nothing to do with any of it. However, her young store assistant Ashleigh begs for Gemma to join her and her mother, Bunny Leigh. Gemma brings best friend Jayne but finds herself banned from Rebecca Stanton’s library by the medium herself. In keeping her promise to Ashleigh, Gemma sits and listens outside the library door. Four potential “spirits” later, there is a scream followed by cries of help, and Gemma bursts through the door to find the medium has been murdered. But how? And why?

I always enjoy Vicki Delany’s novels. This series is actually one of my favorites. The characters are all vibrant and distinct to one another. I love the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop and Emporium and wish there was a real place along with Mrs. Hudson’s Tea Room. At this point, I feel like poor Rebecca Stanton, or her house, is cursed. I hope she is given a reprieve for later books. 

The mystery was decent with plenty of suspects with massive motives. At first, the series had one of my pet peeves, the detective hates the amateur. Now, while they will not be friends by any means, it is clear that Detective Estrada has (for the most part) gotten over her reluctance against Gemma. 

Overall, I rate this novel 4 out of 5 stars. 

Comments