Five Furry Familiars by Lynn Cahoon


 Book five of Lynn Cahoon’s Kitchen Witch Mysteries finds Mia working at the ski lodge while her boyfriend’s mother manages Mia’s Morsels. Mia’s roommate and co-worker, Christina, is dealing with a needy mother who also happened to tell Christina’s ex where she was. Now he’s arrived in Magic Springs with a marriage proposal on his lips.

There’s also the arrival of homeless kittens and a Goddess delivered Maltese familiar for Trent. Unfortunately for Mia, that’s just the beginning to the chaos. 

I love the Magic Springs crew. I still found Grams to be standoffish still with Mia. She just didn’t seem as warm and fuzzy as she did in the first part of the series. Mia also seems to be regressing as well. Trent, Christina, and Levi all have character progression, and their personalities are fun to read.

Now, look. I would be the person who would keep each one of those babies, or even just the ones interested in me. I have a hard time saying no to any furry animal. I wish this had been more about the familiars though, and less about the humans. I would really like the next book to focus on Mia, her magic, and the school ghosts. I just feel like her magic, and the magicalness of Magic Springs, is an afterthought.

Overall, I rate this novel 4 out of 5 stars.

Comments