The Lantern's Dance by Laurie R. King


 Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russell are planning on spending a holiday with Holmes’ son, Damian Adler and his family. Except when they arrive Damian and co are not there. According to family servants/friends, Damian received some mysterious crates supposedly related to Horace Vernet, Holmes’ great-uncle. While Holmes rushes to his son, Russell stays behind and investigates said crates. She discovers a coded journal and sets about translating it. As each entry is revealed, more questions puzzle Russell. The most urgent being why is the past intruding now in Damian Adler’s life? Or was it meant to intrude on Holmes?  

One of my favorite series of all time. I love pretty much all things Sherlock Holmes, but I also enjoy reading about something new to the mythos. I wanted this one to take its time, and really settle into my bones. However, it was just so good, and had so much going on, that I finished it rather quickly. This is a series that needs to be read in order. There are enough hints to previous investigations that readers won’t feel lost, but those hints are more of a “do you remember this?” variety.  

The descriptions immerse readers into whatever time frame the author intended. It also makes us aware of what country the reader will find themselves in. The characters, their personalities, eccentricities, and flaws make them all personable. With some new characters, I can’t wait to see what the next novel brings to Mary and Sherlock. 

Overall, I rate this novel 5 out of 5 stars.

Comments