Cats, Carats and Killers by T. C. LoTempio


 There may be honor among thieves, but a long-ago diamond heist might hold the secret to a man’s murder . . .Pet shop owner Shell McMillan is thrilled to see everyone in Fox Hollow flocking to the local animal shelter’s fundraiser, where they can get their old keepsakes and collectibles appraised and maybe even sell them for a tidy sum. But the event has drawn some shady characters as well, including Pete Martin, who seems determined to get his hands on a beat-up old jewelry box at any cost. Then Martin is found murdered, and Shell has to go from fundraising to finding a killer.It doesn’t take long for Shell to figure out that the jewelry box was concealing diamonds from a long-ago heist, and that Martin wasn’t the only one trying to get his hands on the stash. But to figure out who wanted him dead, she’ll have to uncover who was behind the original heist and who knows where the rest of the gems are hidden. It’s as dangerous a case as Shell has ever faced, and if she’s not careful, her search for the missing stones will leave her stone-cold dead. (GoodReads synopsis)

I took a point off because this has one of the many cliche stereotypes that I can’t stand. The protagonist puts herself in danger. The unfortunate thing is that everything could have been solved way sooner if she had used common sense. That said, I pretty much figured out who most of the characters were and their roles. The killer’s background was a surprise but not who it was. 

I continue to read this series because I love what the author does with the main character’s career as well as her relationships. It’s such a loving atmosphere and I would love to see an appraisal fundraiser for the animal shelters in real life. The cat characters all make me smile because I have 2 with similar personalities traits. And yes, cats do talk back. While I love how close the human characters are, I wish that there was more to the main character and her love interest. Honestly, that felt like a passing comment, an “oh by the way, we’re dating. Back to the mystery.” 

Overall, I rate this novel 4 out of 5 stars. 

Comments