The Sleuth of Blackfriars Lane by Michelle Griep


 Wife. Mother. Homemaker. Detective. Kit Forge wears many hats, and if that’s not enough, she’s partnered with her father to open a new detective agency. It’s hard to be all things to all people, but Kit never shies away from the impossible. Despite her hard work and good intentions, some things fall through the cracks.   Namely, her husband.   But Jackson barely notices. He’s too busy putting out his own fires. As the new chief inspector of a busy London station, he must salvage the disaster left behind by the former police chief—an obstacle made all the harder when the superintendent breathes an ultimatum down his neck.   Against her father’s advice, Kit takes on a case involving a missing child, one in which she and Jackson become a little too emotionally involved. . .and end up endangering their own little girl in the process.   Can Kit and Jackson learn that just because they can say yes doesn’t mean they should? (GoodReads synopsis)

I normally like this series, but I just cannot say this is one of my favorites. There is a big-time jump, it feels like, from how the second book ended and this one began. There are references to the time jump but there are also moments where even I forgot who Kit’s father was. I also wasn’t entirely sure whose job it was that Jackson had been promoted into. 

I found it difficult to relate this Kit to previous novel Kit. She seemed to be lost, and I understand that she would be different in a sense, but there was also a hollowness to her. Like she knew to pray to God, but it was a gesture and not a leap of faith. 

The mystery was fine, and I liked the additional romance.

Overall, I rate this novel 3 out of 5 stars. 

Comments