Murder at Midwinter Manor by Anita Davison


 1916, Midwinter Manor: Desperate for a Christmas weekend break from war-torn London, Hannah Merrill and her Aunt Violet take Bartleby the cat and themselves off to visit Hannah’s sister, in her beautiful country estate, deep in the English countryside.

The huge house is full of relatives, friends and merrymakers, and everyone’s excited to have a Christmas to remember.

But then, when a fellow-guest’s body is found in the library – apparently bludgeoned to death – and a precious ruby is stolen from another guest, it appears that it’s going to be memorable for all the wrong reasons.

With the house snowed in, and the rural police force completely incapable of finding a single credible suspect, Hannah and Aunt Violet realise that once again it’s going to be down to them to get to the bottom of it.

Because whoever’s behind the crimes must be at Midwinter Manor… And if they’re not found, who knows what their next ‘gift’ will be?

I loved this story. However, I need to go back and read the first two novels. Some of the characters I didn’t know, and didn’t understand their background. I felt that this was a better version of Downton Abbey (obviously, I do not like Downton Abbey, and its drama).

I liked Hannah, but most especially Aunt Violet. I loved that Aunt Violet marched to her own tune and was teaching Hannah to do the same. I was a bit taken aback by Hannah’s sister, and her responses to Hannah and Violet. I also am on the fence about Hannah’s mother. 

The mystery itself was genius. I started to suspect early on the reason, and once I did the suspect became obvious.

Overall, I rate this novel 5 out of 5 stars. 

Comments