The Pumpkin Vice Cafe by Ellie Alexander

 





As autumn settles over the charming hamlet of Ashland, Oregon, ushering in cool, crisp breezes and a stunning show of color, everyone at Torte is keeping warm by whipping up a bevy of fall treats and spicy lattes. Jules is nearing her due date, and the whole town is abuzz—placing bets on when the twins will make their grand debut. Helen and the team are working on a secret surprise baby shower, complete with cupcakes, cookies, and a feast fit for royalty, or maybe just a mother-to-be.

Meanwhile, Lance and Arlo are busy planning their nuptials in what is sure to be as close to a royal wedding as Ashland has ever seen. But when the high-end wedding planner they hired is found dead in the frigid waters of Ashland Creek, what looks like a tragic accident, a slip on an icy bridge, quickly reveals itself as something much more sinister. Jules knows at once—this was no mishap. A killer is loose in Ashland, and they may be ready to strike again. 



Spoiler Alert!

The twins are here! I’m so excited! But now I have a very important question: Does this mean the series is over, or will Ellie Alexander continue the series with the babies in tow? Please let it continue! I think bringing the twins along would give the series something unique and create even more opportunities for character progression. I’d love to see how having babies changes the characters and their relationships.

The Pumpkin Vice Cafe is basically my spirit animal. Give me fall—or autumn, depending on your preference—crisp air, pumpkins, bonfires, and all the cozy things that come with the season, and I’m happy. I could have done without the snow, though! It bummed me out a little, but given the location, it made perfect sense.

The mystery worked well for a cozy. It made sense, kept me interested, and fit nicely with the book's atmosphere. I’m still a little reluctant about Lance, though. His character can seem so fickle that I sometimes worry about the direction the author is taking him.

One thing I really appreciate about this series is that it avoids so many cozy mystery clichés. There’s no exhausting love triangle, and the professional detective isn’t constantly hating on the amateur sleuth. That makes this series feel refreshing, and I hope it continues—babies and all!

Overall, I rate this novel 5 out of 5 stars. 

Comments